When picking a wedding song, you need to consider several factors. The first is the pace and rhythm of the song. When walking down the aisle, your body will naturally fall into that certain rhythm, so it is essential to choose a fast song if you want to race through the aisle and a slow one if you want to walk your way in. Another important factor is the lyrics. Of course, you immediately go for a romantic song, but it can ruin your wedding if you don’t know what the words mean.
In other words, a song tagged as romantic everywhere might not be suitable and appropriate for your ceremony. If you have a live band or performer, it is good to go over these issues with them so that they are in line both with the lyrics and the pace. Based on the sources, genres and music types, there are many great songs to choose from. Here are some great songs to walk down the aisle to.
Best Classical Songs
More traditional couples often search for a classical song that is not too modern or flashy. Here are some great musical pieces for couples with this taste:
- Bridal Chorus, by Richard Wagner, is part of the opera Lohengrin and has been played for wedding marches throughout the years. This classical piece is ideal for a conventional wedding and is perfectly paced and suited as the bride enters.
- Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring is another classical gem to consider. It was composed by Johann Sebastian Bach in 1723, and ever since has been arranged and changed with multiple versions available. The original hymns are in German. However, there are English versions as well, which is suitable for a great English wedding.
- If you want a truly romantic and moving piece to accompany your march on the aisle, I recommend Gaetano Donizetti’s Una Furtiva Lagrima. It is sung as an opera, but you can also use its instrumental version, which is alone, very deep and emotionally strong.
There are so many other beautiful classical pieces and what you choose will depend on your own taste and length of the aisle in addition to some other factors.
Best R&B Love Songs
Some couples would rather go for newer options; therefore, R&B love songs are top priorities for them.
- The famous R&B Ben E. King song, Stand by Me, is quite the song for such occasions. It was released in 1961 and made the top hit lists of the day back then. Several famous entertainers also recorded their own versions of the song, and you might also use them at your wedding. John Lennon’s cover in 1975 and Mickey Gilley’s in 1980 stand out among them.
- For a more recent hit song, you can go for John Legend’s Ordinary People. The lyrics are also perfect, telling a story of a couple ready to go through lots of ups and downs. If you are interested in John Legend’s voice, you might as well try his other song, Stay With You.
- Another great bridal entry song could be I Believe in You And Me by Whitney Houston. It has such an emotional power that can keep your feet up for the whole wedding while moving the bystanders to tears. It is certainly my own personal favourite.
Songs from Films
This is surely my favourite category, as there are so many songs I can find in films that are perfect for any bridal entrance.
- Glasgow Love Theme from Love Actually, Richard Curtis’s 2003 film, is just the song for you. It might be short but is lovely even on a repeat. It is composed by Craig Armstrong and is perfectly themed for a wedding, as it is composed for that very purpose in the film.
- Forrest Gump Theme is also pretty interesting and has a good vibe for a bridal occasion. This Alan Silvestri masterpiece, which was also nominated for an Academy Award, is long enough to keep everyone captivated during the bridal entrance and the opening ceremony. The mood is wonderful and will keep everyone calm and ready for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Animated films can also be a great source of inspiration for aisle walks. For instance, Elton John’s Can You Feel the Love Tonight is featured in Lion King (1994) and is one of the most popular love songs. It is pretty calm and soothing and a wonderful choice for an entrance song.
Best Rock Songs
Some young couples prefer something less traditional and therefore opt for rock love songs to go with their wedding. Fortunately, there are plenty of options to choose from, and they shouldn’t have much to worry about.
- The Rolling Stones’ Wild Horses is one of those classic rock songs you should definitely consider. It is not too long nor too short, and its pace suits a calm aisle walk and is soothing enough for the bystanders.
- If you are looking for a song with a faster pace, Muse’s I Belong to You is definitely a good choice. While it starts rather strong, it goes through an ebb and flow that fits its lyrics too. The lyrics are also perfectly themed and match the mood of the day.
- Beatles’ All You Need Is Love is also pretty unique and great to have in your selection. The song starts with the French National Anthem and goes through some experimental beats, making it rather psychedelic. Nevertheless, it is used for many wedding ceremonies and you may use it as a processional and recessional song.
Best Country Songs
- If you are interested in country songs, countless wonderful songs are out there. My first recommendation would be Alison Krauss’s rendition of When You Say Nothing at All. It is deeply emotional, truly calming, and probably the best version of Keith Whitley’s popular song.
- Another fantastic choice to add to your playlist is John Michael Montgomery’s I Love the Way You Love Me. It was released in 1993 and immediately made it into the weekly charts, bringing Mongomery worldwide fame.
- Blake Shelton’s God Gave Me You is also a wonderful song to listen to and has great lyrics that perfectly match the mood of a wedding day.